Wellbeing - Pupil Support

What to do if you’re feeling worried?
Everyone worries about things that happen at school from time to time. It is a rare pupil who sails through school without experiencing some sort of issue. Here at Ysgol Nantgwyn, we want to ensure you have the very best support available. There are key members of staff that you can speak to so that you get the support that you need.
Life can sometimes be tricky and it can make you feel sad, lonely, worried, nervous and all sorts of other emotions. This can happen to anyone at any time! We want to help you with any worries you have so please come and talk to us! There is a saying; ‘A problem shared is a problem halved.’ This means that often just by talking about a problem or worry makes it seem much less of a problem, even if you don’t find a solution straight away.
There is a lot of pressure to get good results, and the stresses and strains of school life can sometimes feel too much. The important thing is to recognise there is a problem to be solved and ask for help as soon as you can.
Some school problems you might worry about include:
  • Finding schoolwork difficult, or having problems concentrating in class if others are noisy and disruptive
  • Tricky relationships with friends and friendship groups
  • Not getting on with teachers, feeling like you are labelled as 'trouble'
  • Bullying
  • Problems at home - your parents’ relationship, sibling issues, a housing problem or simply feeling unsupported
  • Specific difficulties such as dyslexia or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
How do you feel?
Any of these things can make you feel very unhappy and out of control. You may feel sick, have headaches or stomach aches, or find it hard to get up and get ready for school. Your marks may drop and you feel less motivated to do homework. You may feel stressed and angry, or withdraw and develop depression or low self-esteem. It may be that you feel these emotions at school, but you are fine when you get home.
Some people may become reluctant to go into school, or even refuse to go at all. In extreme cases, they may truant without their parents knowing or exhibit behavioural problems such as lying, stealing or being aggressive.
What can you do?
If you’re worried about any aspect of school, it’s important to talk to your parents/carers or a trusted adult about what is bothering you, as soon as possible. They can approach us here at the school to address the problems and work together to help resolve them.
We have a set procedure for helping with pupil problems, and the first port of call will probably be your class teacher or tutor or any of the following:
Mr R. Evans – Safeguarding officer
Mrs R. Ridley – Deputy Safeguarding officer
Mrs D. Lewis - Deputy Safeguarding officer
Mrs C. Waithaka - Deputy Safeguarding officer
Any of your raising standards coaches or any of the teaching staff within the school.
If you have learning difficulties, speak Mrs H. Higgs or Mrs L. Hawkins.
If you think you may have a mental health issue, speak to your GP who can refer you to Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAHMS) if necessary. When you’re over 11 you can also access youth counselling services. There may be different options available depending on where you live, so even if you're not 11 yet, speak to your GP to find out more. 
If you are a parent or carer of a child or young person who has school worries, we are here to help you. Our Parents Helpline can give you free, confidential advice and information. We can talk through concerns about your child's problems at school and suggest ways to get help.
Where to get help
YoungMinds Crisis Messenger
  • Provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK if you are experiencing a mental health crisis
  • If you need urgent help text YM to 85258
  • All texts are answered by trained volunteers, with support from experienced clinical supervisors
  • Texts are free from EE, O2, Vodafone, 3, Virgin Mobile, BT Mobile, GiffGaff, Tesco Mobile and Telecom Plus.
  • If you're in distress and need support, you can ring Samaritans for free at any time of the day or night.
  • Freephone (UK and Republic of Ireland): 116 123 (24 hours)
  • www.childline.org.uk
  • If you're under 19, you can confidently call, email or chat online about any problem, big or small.
  • Freephone 24h helpline: 0800 1111
  • Sign up for a childline account on the website to be able to message a counsellor anytime without using your email address
  • Chat 1:1 with an online advisor
 The Mix
  • www.themix.org,uk 
  • If you're under 25 you can talk to The Mix for free on the phone, by email or on their webchat. You can also use their phone counselling service, or get more information on support services you might need. 
  • Freephone: 0808 808 4994 (13:00-23:00 daily)
Have you stopped attending school?
If you have stopped attending school, an Education Welfare Officer will work with you and your family to support your return to school. They can also apply for extra funding from the council to help you in school.